Trends come and go, but every fashionable woman knows that there are staples that never go out of style. The jewelry box is the place where spending more money on higher quality pieces ensures that your investment will last decades. There are ten essential pieces that every woman should have in her jewelry collection. They look fantastic dressed down for daily activities and work, and they bring a truly elegant touch to formal looks and the little black dress.
Before you buy your staple pieces, consider your options so that you spend your money wisely and on jewelry you will still love a decade or two from now. Which is your favorite: gold, white gold, sterling silver, or platinum? Silver is the least expensive, but gold is more traditional. White gold and platinum achieve the clean and polished look of silver, but are better quality. If you have the money to spend on platinum, it will look beautiful longer and sustain fewer scratches. The next question to consider is this: should you splurge on real gemstones and diamonds or opt for the less expensive cubic zirconium? The real thing will obviously last longer and shine more brilliantly. In addition, the bigger the stone, the more you can tell the difference. However, for smaller settings and for people who cannot afford real, precious stones, cubic zirconium is an excellent alternative if you buy a high quality piece. Armed with these considerations, you’re ready to pick out your jewelry staples. In no particular order, these are the top ten jewelry staples:
1. Diamond Stud Earrings: This is one piece where you should opt for the real thing. Until you can afford diamonds, the cubic zirconium will do, but diamonds last longer and the unrivaled, polished shine is part of the appeal. Perfect for any occasion, they look beautiful with jeans and a cardigan and elegant with a formal gown for a night out. Showcase them by pulling your hair back from your face. Diamond stud earrings create a classy, sophisticated, and timeless look on any woman.
2. Diamond Tennis Bracelet: This is another essential where the cubic zirconium is only a substitute until you can buy the real thing. Both the diamond tennis bracelet and the stud earrings emit a lustrous shine that is absolutely stunning. The same principles apply here; you can wear your tennis bracelet anywhere and anytime to achieve that high class, elegant look. These and your stud earrings will never go out of style, and you can pass them down to future generations as prized heirlooms.
3. Cocktail Ring: A big, fashionable ring with a large gemstone setting shows superior and distinguished taste. The stone in the ring can be any stone you love; some popular choices are red and blue sapphires, garnets, pearls, and emeralds. If you do not mind occasionally updating your ring, cubic zirconium is available in a variety of stunning colors. Before you choose your ring, make sure you settle on a color that will complement most of your wardrobe.
4. Chandelier Earrings: Although diamond stud earrings are the height of class, every woman needs something that dangles. Again, choose a color that complements most of your existing wardrobe so you can wear them often. My personal favorite is a chandelier earring made from marcasite and sterling silver that showcases black onyx. The antiqued look is quite distinguished and black matches everything.
5. Pearl Necklace: Simple, classy, and sophisticated, this timeless piece embodies class. White pearls are the most elegant, but other colors are available. Although they now sell long strands that you can wrap around your neck several times, the most timeless pearl necklace is a shorter strand that falls just below your collarbone. Again, the authentic pearl necklaces look the best. A good imitation does not exist.
6. Non-Pearl Necklace: Pearls do not match everything, so you should have at least one necklace that does not have pearls. This can be as simple as a silver or gold chain, or something a little more extravagant that has a drop pendant with a gemstone. If you opt for the latter, try to choose something that matches your cocktail ring and chandelier earrings so that you have a complete set. A diamond journey necklace and a diamond circle necklace are popular choices.
7. Statement Watch: How often does anyone really look at their watch nowadays? We have phones, computers, etc. that display a digital and easy-to-read time. Luckily, this gives you the freedom to choose a watch for its form, rather than its function. Find a stunning watch that matches everything and wear it to work for a professional look that does not sacrifice style.
8. Hoop Earrings: Gold, silver, or platinum. Not too big, please, these should be simple. The thinner, smaller, and more delicate they are, the more elegant they look.
9. An Artisan Piece: This is the creative piece. This can be as outlandish and colorful as you like, but make sure it is something you will still like years from now.
Luckily, this can either be cheap or expensive; the only requirement is that it is completely original and no one else has anything like it. These are pieces you find from street vendors and private shops. They are often handmade and have very artistic designs. The handmade pieces are the best; they ensure something completely unique.
10. A Large Broach: Stick it on your coat and keep it there. It should be elegant, but dazzling. I prefer marcasite showcasing cubic zirconium or gemstones for this, too.